Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Shock Doctrine

I have just started reading the Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. So far it is fascinating, I had read some of Friedman's theories in the past mainly the Freedom To Choose. But I never realized his complicity in South American Dictatorships of Pinochet, Uruguay, and the Brazil and Argentina Junta's. Fascinating material. As I am reading this book on the heels of Krugman's Conscience of a Liberal, I am starting to ponder the thought that a strong educated middle class is the ultimate enemy of both dictatorships and corporatist described in Naomi's book. Klien points out persuasively that really Friedman is much closer to Marx in that his theories require a clean slate of society upon which to enforce his theories furthermore it must be pure. Such radicalism and fanaticism leads directly to the Gulag and the Torture Chamber.

No comments: