Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Raving Radical Movie Review

So tonight I sat down and watched Chicago 10 out on DVD. This is a documentary film that splits between actual footage of the 1968 Democratic Convention and animation of the actual court proceedings of the Chicago 10 trial. For a little background the Chicago 10 were a group of, you guessed it, 10 people mainly anti-war & civil rights protestors who organized a protest of the Democratic Convention in Chicago. Overall I thought the movie was great. I have read much of Abbie Hoffman's writings as well as William Kunstler, who represented Abbie, so I did have a basic knowledge going in what the movie was about. I was afraid that the constant switching from animation to actual footage would be distracting to the overall story which is powerful enough as is, but it really was very smooth. In fact, seeing animation Abbie as opposed to real Abbie was hmm let me use the generation venacular "quite a trip". After watching the Convention footage and Obama give his speech on election night, both of which happend at Grant's Park in Chicago, it just seems fitting bookends to see where the Democratic Party really lost its soul and where it hopefully will be reborn. Anyways I would give this movie an All Power To The People 4 out of 5. Here is the trailer:



Also if you enjoyed this I would also recommend Steal This Movie, which deals specifically with the life of Abbie Hoffman.

No comments: